Wednesday 7 April 2010

Mercedes e class 2009

There’s only one word to describe a Mercedes-Benz A Class hatchback; adorable. From its elegant nose to delightful posterior, the almost unexpected offering from the well-respected German camp brings with it a zephyr of much needed fresh air to the hatchback category.

Mercedes-Benz are not a manufacturer that one would have ever expected to branch out into the world of the compact family car. Providing stately, dignified cars that have been at the forefront of the public concept of luxury and exclusivity, Mercedes have proved that there is more to their brand than astronomical prices and outlandishly big bumpers.

With the downturn of the economy, the second-hand car market has seen a boom in popularity that has brought many previously unattainable cars within reach of even the leanest budgets. A used Mercedes-Benz hatchback still offers quality and elegance for substantially less than the original price.

I’m not looking for a new car at present, but I’ve yet to pass up an invitation to test-drive a model for research purposes. Whilst I’m a fan of hulking great 4x4s (my Discovery and I have conquered most of the surrounding off-road terrain), there’s something about the allure of a Merc that is felt by even the most biased brand aficionado.

Being based in a very rural area I am blessed with country lanes that merge into urban roads, ideal territory to put any car through its paces. Unfortunately it was raining metaphors, and I was slightly dubious about whether the comparatively dinky used Mercedes-Benz A Class could compare to the handling offered by the beast that is the Discovery.

From the offset it was quite a charming experience. Regally pulling away from the forecourt the A Class behaved impeccably as I headed into town to see whether it could inspire the same feeling of confident performance as a car twice its height. And I was pleasantly surprised to find that it did. There’s a surprising amount of interior space, so much so that you almost feel as if you’ve stumbled into the Tardis rather than a compact family car. Gripping the road despite the deluge, I was soon out of urbania and heading through some particularly fierce twisting country roads.

Not a problem. Every corner was a doddle, and whilst there was no other traffic to contend with I felt that the little Mercedes-Benz A Class could easily squeeze past on even the narrowest lane. Whilst I didn’t leave the office intending to buy a new car, I was almost tempted to enquire about payment schemes. Certainly the price was very attractive, and the performance that I had experienced proved that even though it was more diminutive in size, it had the heart and stomach of a full-grown Mercedes-Benz.

1 comment:

  1. Hey the Mercedes car is simply awesome.....I love the Mercedes very much...it is the best and I liked your blog post...by the way your blog post is informative..:)

    Diesel Power Chips

    ReplyDelete